X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35" tires on a Grand Wagoneer

Again, I am new to this and have a lot to learn...... I know the BJ 6" lift will allow you to fit 33" tires on a Grand Wagoneer, but what if you want to run 35" tires..... I want to be the coolest on my block. How much cutting and what type of cutting would be required?

You can trim the fenders up to the woodgrain trim line and you should be able to run 35's. Also, you can use our 6" lift and our 2" or 3" body lift and run 35's as well (you will have to do slight trimming for major-flexing off-road though).

Comment

I would go the trimming route, and not the body lift route unless you plan on getting wider axles. Stock narrow track axles will make for a tipsy ride with 9" of lift. I have 34" tall tires on my cherokee (which is a narrow tracklike the wags) with a 6" lift, and I have 1.25" trimmed to keep them from rubbing off road. Most 35's measure 34.5" or so tall, so trimming to the wood grain should make them easily fit with the 6".

Comment

Cool, what all is involved in that type of work? Are there any sites that talk about those types of mods? Is this something that I beginner like myself could do? Also, I heard that doing a suspention lift and a body lift is a bad idea. How hard would running wider axles be? Sounds pretty advanced.
        Last edited by THACH_Gunner; 12-27-2005, 03:30 PM.

Comment

You wont need wider axles with just a 6", if you went with a 6" and a body lift, then I would advise it. Axles from an 80-83 wide trac cherokee would bolt into your grand wag for the most part. And they are wider.

But for now, I say go witht he 6", and trim. Trimming the front is easy, just draw yourself a line, and follow it. I used a jig saw, but you can also use a sawzall or a cut-off wheel. For the rear, I want to gain 1.25" of clearance. So I made two lines. One at 0.75", and one at 1.25". I cut on the .75 inch line. Then i made cuts going from the new edge to my 2nd line at 1.25" every 2" or so. I then folded these 'tabs' inward as the rear fender is made of 2 pieces of metal. so the folding created a new smooth edge, and heled the 2 pieces together. Beware, that the farther you cut up, the larger the gap. The photo below illustrates what i did:

Comment

you will also want to check your state laws on how far yyour tires are aloud to stick out from your fenders.

Comment

tires?

stucka what tires are you running where did you get 34s? by the way i found a good parts rig (1978) that im currently swaping the motor into from the 73(parts wagon motor BLEW up on the drive home) so i dont have to worry about the SOA kit and mess anymore.

Comment

check www.ntwonline.com, thats where I buy my tires, but you can check other tire stores to compare $$$.
                Super Swamper makes a "34x10.50 LTB" & a "34x9.50 TSL"

Comment

33x12.50 TSL's (tires I have) are the same height as the 34" LTB's, just wider (37.5" tall). Here is a comparison of a normal 33" tire next to a 33" TSL:

Picture of my cherokee with them on:

Comment

isnt that illigal

something about those pictures..... ahhh i get it no bumper, isnt that illigal? thanks for the info.

Comment

In many states it is yes, doesnt seem to be here. But its only until my new front bumper is finished (haveing one custom built). As I sort of 'broke' my old one heh.

Comment

Working...
                      X